Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Recipe of the Day - "New Favorite Meatballs"


Original Recipe - pg 87 of The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook
Olive Oil Spray
2 egg Whites
1/2 c. Quick Cooking Oats
1/4 c. Fat Free Milk
1/2 c. Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
1 Tbsp dried Minced Onion
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flake
1 pound 96% lean ground beef

Preheat the over to 400 F.  Lightly coat a large nonstick baking sheet with the olive oil spray.

In a medium bowl, using a fork, mix together the egg whites, oats, and milk until well combined.  Add the parksley, onion, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes and mix until conmbined.  Mix in the beef until well combined.

Make 32 uniform meatballs, each about 1 1/4" diameter (use a cookie scoop or 2 Tbsp for ease).  Roll the balls with your hands and arrange, not touching, on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 7-1-0 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.

Makes 4 (8 meatball) servings

Per serving: 194 calories, 25g protein, 10 carbohydrates, 5g fat (2g saturated), 60 mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 252 mg sodium.

My Version
There were very few things I did differently from above.  The ground beef I had was a little fattier than the 96% lean that was recommended.  And I didn't measure any of the seasoning (but I wish I had atleast measured the parsley since it was so much.  I used dried parsley instead of fresh, because that's what I had. 

The meatballs were still definitely yummy!

*For the kids I paired it with Lemon Pepper Brown Rice (Prepare as directed on package and generously sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning), steamed carrots, and apple wedges.  They LOVED everything!  ESPECIALLY the rice!

*For myself I paired the meatballs with steamed stir fry veggies and an apple.

4 comments:

  1. I just want to say that Becky YOU are awesome!!!!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i made these last night and riley had a friend over who i guess is a picky eater....well she gobbled up 3 of them and i didnt make em small either. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome!! We had them two days in a row and there are still a couple left! We had them with rice (pictured above), the next day we had them on top of spaghetti! mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete