Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Recipe of the Day - Grilled Chicken Parmesan

I've actually made this one before.  SO GOOD!!!



Original Recipe - pg 116 & 117 of The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook
4 (4 oz) trimmed boneless skinless chicken breasts
Olive oil in a sprayer (not store-bought spray that contains propellant)
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup Main Event Marinara Sauce (page 162) or other low fat, low sodium, low sugar marinara sauce, or more to taste
6 Tbsp finely shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 tsp grated reduced fat Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Preheat grill to high heat.

Lightly mist both sides of the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill the chicken, turning once, for 3-5 mins per side, or until it is no longer pink inside and juices run clear.  Transfer to a baking dish.

Heat the sauce on low in the microwave until warm.  Top each breast with 2 Tbsp marinara sauce, followed by 1 1/2 Tbsp mozzarella, and 1/2 tsp Parmesan.  Bake the chicken for 3-5 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 169 calories, 29g protein, 5 g corbohydrates, 3g fat (less than 1g saturated, 70mg cholesterol, 1g fiber, 210mg sodium

My Version
1 Boneless skinless chicken breast for each person you are serving
Spaghetti sauce or whatever red sauce you prefer (I used the McCormick Seasoning packet with tomato paste & water)
Mozzarella cheese (I found a whole milk version I tried)
FRESH parmesan cheese, shredded

Microwave the chicken breasts for approximately 8 minutes or until cooked through.

Transfer to a ungreased glass baking dish

Spoon on red sauce, top with mozzarella, bake for just a couple minutes (or until cheese is melted)

Shred/grate FRESH parmesan on top just before serving.  Enjoy :)

*Note* I <3 cooking chicken in the microwave.  It keeps the the chicken moist and juicy.  I microwaved the three breasts I was preparing for a total of about 8 minutes.  This also eliminates any added oils/fats.  I also did not heat my sauce prior to topping the chicken.  If the oven is how enough to melt cheese, it's hot enough to heat the red sauce.

I VERY much prefer the grilled chicken over the breaded versions of chicken parmesan.  The breading always soaks up the sauces and gets mushy. 

*I paired mine with frozen steamed green beans with fresh ground black pepper.  Another accidental discovery was that some of the parmesan ended up on my green beans....HOLY YUMO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment