Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Recipe of the Day - Mandarin Orange Chicken

Original Recipe - pg 111 of The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook
3 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
3 Tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp freshly minced garlic
1 Tbsp hot sesame oil
1 tsp chili garlic sauce or chili paste (found in the international section of most major grocery stores)
1/4 c canned unsweetened mandarin oranges in juice
6 (4 oz) trimmed boneless, skinless chicken breasts

In a large, resealable plastic bag or container, mix the juice concentrate, soy sauce, garlic, oil, and chili sauce or chili paste.  Gently stire in the oranges and their juice.  Add the chicken, submergining it in marinade.  Seal the bag or container and marinate in the refrigerator at leart 6 hours or overnight, rotating once or twice.

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Transfer the chicken to an 11" x 7" glass baking or casserole dish (or the equivalent) in a single layer and pour the remaining marinade on top.  Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.

Makes 6 servings

Per serving: 183 calories, 27g protein, 7g carbohydrates, 4g fat (less than 1 g saturated), 66 mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 282 mg sodium

My Version
I follower the directions on this one pretty closely.  I did NOT measure the mandarin oranges.  I dump in one whole plastic jar of them (and their juice).  I also did not make my chicken breasts 4 ozs.  Chances are they were closer to 5 or 6 ounces a piece and there were about 5 of them.  I would say it is essential to have the sesame oil (though I did not use a hot version, mostly because I couldn't find one), I think it gives it the asian flavor this recipe is supposed to have. 

Either way, YUMMY!

*I served mine with steamed mixed vegetables and pineapple tidbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment