Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Recipe of the Day - English Muffin Melt

1 light multigrain or whole wheat English muffin (8 grams fiber per muffin; I used Thomas'), halvved and toasted

1 oz (1/2 cup) finely shredded Cabot's 75% Light Cheddar Cheese, or your favorite low-fat Cheddar

2 (1/4" thick) slices beefsteak tomato

Preheat the broiler.  Line a small metal baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Place the muffin halves on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with the cheese.  Place 1 tomato slice on each muffin half over the cheese.  Broil until the cheese bubbles and begins to brown in spots, 1 to 2 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Makes 1 serving

Per serving: 168 calories, 15 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (2g saturated), 12 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 374 mg sodium

My Version
This is a really simple recipe.  I did a couple things differently as far as products go.  I had a coupon for Thomas' original english muffins (which I did toast prior to the oven), so that's what I used.  In the interest of avoiding a mess I used slice cheese (one per half muffin) rather than shredded cheese and I didn't have tin foil, so I had to scrub my pan afterward, but that wasn't a big deal.  I also put my muffins in the oven (preheated to 500 F) instead of the broiler.

I did not try this particular recipe myself, because I don't eat english muffins, but the kids DEVOURED them (after they pulled the tomatoes off of course) lol.  Enjoy!

*The kids enjoyed this with some slices peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment