Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Beans Beans the musical fruit.....

I never used to like beans, I would even pick every last one out of my chili.  For some reason lately, I've been LOVING beans!  They have lots of protein, lots of fiber, and are just all over good for you.  I WAS using canned beans, but because of the sodium content, I decided to try my hand at dry beans.  I had no idea what to do with them, but after reading a couple labels and looking online this is what I did....

1. Rinse the dry beans and remove any beans that are discolored.
2. I poured my whole 2 lb bag in to 6-8 cups of water in a pot on the stove.
(The instructions said to bring them to a rapid boil, remove from heat and let stand)...that's what I did and they were still crunchy...ISH!
3. Boil the beans for approximately an hour or until the preferred tenderness is reached.

I then took my cooked beans and put them in a big bowl in the fridge.  I use them every single day in various ways.  They can be used in place of meat for vegetarians or those that hadn't planned ahead.  They can replace vegetables for those who don't like the greens or if you are running low on the fresh stuff.  They can add fiber to ANY meal.  I've included a couple ways I've used beans...try them out!

"Mac" and Cheese
I literally mixed a cereal bowl of great northern beans with a pretty substantial handful of shredded cheddar and a little splash of milk and microwaved it.  You would be AMAZED how much it tasted like macaroni and cheese, minus the ridiculous amount of insulin resistance provoking CRAP, more fiber, more protein, just YUMMY and LOTS of it!!!

Mexican Breakfast Skillet
Scrambled eggs, tossed with beans and the salsa of your choice.  I also throw in some hot sauce and occasionally top with shredded cheese...mmmmmmmm

Salad Add
Spinach leaves (or leafy green of your choice), fruit (peaches, apples, mandarin oranges, etc), beans, and poppyseed dressing (of dressing of your choice)  YUMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment